It is unlikely that you will find the magic pills in this book, there is more fertile ground for managerial thought and inspiration on the basis of the author's study of American business, companies that made the transition to outstanding results and performance in modern history. It would seem - simple truths applicable to the management of companies, Collins attempts to show the relationship of research findings with success.
As a result of many years of research companies with good and great results, Collins described the particular model, the concept of achieving outstanding results, which is presented in the book and includes the basic provisions, the key ideas:
- The key role, responsibility and the importance given to the leaders, managers, aspiring to outstanding achievements and success of the company and not to the private interests and recognition. They are modest and when the company achieves results and success "look out the window," but when confronted with problems and difficulties, "look in the mirror," taking full responsibility in difficult situations. As a rule, these are people from among the managers of the company, not populists, invited by.
- The solid principle of "First Who, then What" (certain people lead to success). If you doubt in a person, keep searching. The transformations in the company begin with the selection of the right team, the right people, and only after that is determined by the main vector of development and strategy. Most people should be involved in the most promising areas and regions, but not as frequently happens, to address the most complex and major problems. The defining properties "right" people are their abilities, personal qualities and character, rather than knowledge, experience and education.
- The ability to courageously face the harsh truth / facts / reality without losing faith in overall victory, which contributes to make the right decisions in difficult situations.
- The atmosphere in which colleagues openly voice their opinions, created based on the following 4 principles:
- guided by questions, not answers;
- colleagues are involved in a dialogue and debate, and not in conflict;
- we discuss errors and looking for solutions, do not blame;
- we transform information into a hard Ignored by the method of red flags.
- Collins points out that incentives could be a waste of time and the question is not how to motivate, if people are chosen correctly, they do not need stimulation, motivation and maintenance of "fighting spirit". A direct way to de-motivation - the facts of neglect.
- A clear understanding of what the field of the company could be the best in the world, which is not, rather than what I would like to be better. To determine the direction of development of the great results, you must answer the following three important questions: What exactly are you most excited and inspired? Do you base your economic business model and what it is? In a particular form of activity you could become the best in the world?
- A positive corporate culture, which is formed and is based on consciously disciplined, mature people with disciplined thinking and actions (not to be confused with tyranny).
- Incredibly, in planning, in the first place is determined by a list of what you need to stop doing, and it is less important to make a list of what you need to keep doing.
- Understanding that the use of technology (if consistent with the business concept) as an accelerator of growth and development, not its cause. It is worth noting that none of the visionary companies did not start with the reform of the introduction of new technology, while 80% of managers do not specify the technology of transformation among key factors. Also, Collins says the so-called principle of "Crawl, walk, run" that can be effective in a period of radical change.
- Long-term transformation carried out capacity-building first, followed by rapid growth (flywheel principle). Understanding that the revolutionary changes - a natural progressive process, significant results are not made immediately and very quickly, they are directly dependent on the process. Inconsistent company at risk of a vicious circle. Under favorable conditions, the development of the problem of enthusiasm, motivation, support and dedication allowed themselves without unnecessary energy consumption, support appears thanks to the results of transformation and progress, and not vice versa.
What is important is the fact that the program of reforms and transformations of great companies did not have any specific names, graphic plan, pathos, or start something that would be celebrated or announced the changes taking place in the company, talked about this specific achievements.
The realization that should not be done and what in our life is a waste of time and energy will help a lot to simplify and improve our results. Summing up the review of the key ideas of Jim Collins, recommend to the reading of his book: "Good to great" and "Built to Last: Successful companies with vision.""